Thursday, April 19, 2012

End of the Year Banquet

Tonight was my study abroad program's end of the year banquet. The food was decent. The venue was awesome. I took some great photo with friends and had a few good laughs. Of course, like any other end-of-the-year, sentimental school function they had superlatives.

A few people I knew said that they voted me for Best Dressed Male. I was really hoping for it too... Instead, I won Drama King. When they called my name for it, I didn't really know what to think. Half of my peers were clapping whilst the other half groaned in unison as they realized the insult it was meant to be. To be labeled as your school's drama king... How can I really interpret that? Was it all just out of jest? It doesn't seem so. Knowing my history with people, bullies, and people's bullshit I know there was malicious intent behind it.

It's not so much that the title was insulting. What bothers me is how it can be perceived as such and how it wouldn't surprise me that people voted me for the title out of malicious intent. It was unexpected. I was hoping to have a fun night. Instead, I have this voice in my mind wondering who would have voted me for the title. For me to win, it would have had to have been at least half of the 250 kids that voted. Who knows?

I'm just ready to go home.

2 comments:

  1. I get what you are saying but I suppose the best thing to do is keep a class act and go with the flow, wtf you are on the way home soon anyway. At least you have a 'study abroad' credit added to your university experience. Still, a little feeling of being blind-sided but sometimes people have good intentions that go awry. - Wayne

    ReplyDelete