Friday, January 28, 2011

I Feel Degraded

For the past two weeks I have been trying to get into this certain professor's Italian-101 course. I wasn't able to simply register into the class since the class was full by the time I could register for classes for this semester. When I spoke with the professor at the beginning of the semester (i.e. two weeks ago), she told me that she can't do anything during the first week since it's add/drop week. She suggested that I come to each class, participate, try to get in the class if a seat opens during the first week, and if not, she'll see what she can do the following week.

After a week of going to an 8am class at below 10 degree weather every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and participating as if I was actually registered for the class, the professor tells me to talk to the chairperson of the department. When I spoke with the chairperson, he told me to pick up a course add/drop override form from the dean's office, get it signed by the professor, and he'd sign it. When I went to the dean's office/advisory office, they told me they no longer used the form that the chairperson was talking about and all they'd need is a signed notice signifying permission from the chairperson. I tried to go back to the department chairperson's office to explain what the advisory office had told me, but he was no longer there. Afterward, I e-mailed the professor and told her the whole situation with the chairperson wanting a documentation of her permission and that the advisory office just needed the chairperson's permission. So in essence, all I needed was for the professor to e-mail the chairperson, who can then give me a documentation of his permission, which I could pass on to the dean's office. Of course, the professor didn't reply to my e-mail, but the e-mail system my school runs on showed that she had opened it an hour after I sent it.

After going through that whole situation, I came to class, participated, and tried to talk to the professor again after class. I asked her if she had received my message and what she thought I should do. She said that she'll talk to the department chair, then she said, "You better not make me regret this. You're making a lot more work for me. You better not make me regret doing this," in this annoyed tone. In my head I was thinking, "Is she threatening me? I get to class every morning before anyone else does, I actually am the one to turn on the lights in class, and I participate as much (if not more than) any of her registered students just to prove my commitment." I felt so degraded as if I was an unnecessary inconvenience to her. Yes, I know that adding one more student to a closed course can add a little bit more workload for her like grading an extra quiz/exam, getting participation from one extra student, adding one more name to her roster, but was it really necessary for her to make me feel like I was wasting her time? Did she really have to threaten me?

Today, I went to class again, participated, and tried to talk to her and ask her what's going on with the whole situation. My exact words to her were, "***** I was wondering about the course override." She replied, "What about it?" I responded, "Well, I was wondering if I've been registered in your class?" She replied, "Well, non, you told me that you were confused as to whether a course add/drop form would be necessary. Once you find out, get back to me." Again, in my mind, I was thinking, "Why is she being so apprehensive towards me? Didn't she say that she would talk to the department chairperson herself?" I felt like I was just slapped in the face. I felt so low at that point.

A little later, I went to the advisement office and talked to another advisor. I explained the whole situation to him, how I've basically been passed around from one school administrator to another and with no answers. In the end, the advisor basically just told me what I've been hearing the past few days I've tried to settle this whole situation, "Ask the professor to e-mail me saying that she gives you permission." In essence, I've been running around for the past week trying to get some person's permission who only points me to the people who told me to get the former's permission in the first place before the latter gives me theirs.

I'm frustrated and I feel degraded by these people. How can these people call themselves educators? They're so blinded by the bureaucracy that they lost sight of their main goal: to teach and nurture students' education. All that these people have done is humiliate me and belittle my desire to learn. I want to get into a class because I want to learn. I have been sitting and participating in the class every Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 8am and getting there before anyone else, so they can't tell me they don't have a seat for me; I've been sitting in one. I cannot believe that these people can pride themselves in the notion that they're positively influencing the futures of students. I want to learn. I am committed to learn. I have been trying to prove that to them, but all they do is pass me on to someone else because none of them want to send the simple e-mail to one other person among them with a statement as simple as, "Kenneth has permission to be in this class." Instead, they prefer to have me run around between each of them, nod my head, accept some bullshit excuse that the previous person also gave, and go back and forth with the same message.

These people are not educators. They do not deserve to take pride in such a title.

3 comments:

  1. All I can say is WTF? Well, I have found that when dealing with the bureaucracy it is best to keep your cool, have patience and just be persistent. People are often lazy about expediting red tape but if you keep politely bugging them then they eventually put it through to get you off their back. Profs are often snotty and live in their own pseudo intellectual world of ego cos they have never worked at a real job. Keep on emailing her (see if you can find that stupid f**kin override form) and go to class and be polite. Don't take it personally cos you are dealing with bureaucracy. Good luck and bfn - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally had the most opposite experience with adding a class (albeit for a diff. reason. Not because of too little seats, but because I reached the credit limit). My uni was so smooth with the whole process! Had to get my advisor to sign, my professor to stamp, and then send it on its way for approval. It hasn't been approved yet, but the dean told me it definitely would.
    I would be appalled if I was in your position, seriously. I mean, you're paying them to do their job and they're not doing it. I don't know what I'd do though... I'd definitely address that professor's attitude though. It sorta sucks that she's in charge of your grade though... maybe you should try enrolling for a different section? I thought that prof was supposed to be nice!
    Or maybe you just have to spell it out blatantly for the teachers. You could even give them a body to send in an email that they can just copy and paste to whoever appropriate. Make it the LEAST amount of work for the simple minded ones, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. KFC: I'm glad things worked out for you. :) I can't really enroll into another class because the class add/drop period has passed, so I can't really talk to any other teachers about it. That's been a part of the problem, she made me wait all this time and now I have no choice but to try and get into her class considering that it's her class that I've been unofficially going to. The thing is, she can simply send the academic advisory office a simple one-sentence statement like, "I give Kenneth permission to join my class," and things would be fine. I wouldn't have to go through all this running around. In any case, I e-mailed her again this afternoon after going to the advisory office AGAIN. This time though, I sent the advisory office a carbon copy of the e-mail so they'll know that I sent her an e-mail and she'll know that the advisory board knows that I tried to work things out with her.

    Wayne: I've been polite this whole time. I've been conscious about not being too aggressive or annoying. The problem is that there is not much of a bureaucracy system other than the fact that none of them wants to take responsibility and take the initial action. As I said to KFC, one of them, specifically my professor, just has to tell either the chairperson or the advisory office that she gives me permission. It could even be a simple, informal statement. Now, if she didn't want me in her class, she should just tell me so rather than trying to discourage me from trying to get in, which kind of seems to be the case.

    ReplyDelete