Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Why I Want to Study Abroad

The following is something that I wrote for the essay portion of my study abroad application. Of course, I could have elaborated on a few things, but there is a one page (double-spaced) limit on the essay, unfortunately... Anyways, any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated, thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Being a part of the world is a concept that can be described as gaining an awareness of what makes one different from others and finding common ground. By allowing myself to gain experience outside of the community/environment I am so accustomed to and experience things that are unfamiliar, perhaps even contrary to my own ideals, I will gain a higher level of reverence and awareness for a world outside of my own. Also, with faculty and peer support that emphasizes on the concept of “cura personalis” (i.e. caring for the whole person), I am certain that I will have the confidence and courage to strive for success whether it be in my community or abroad.
    Most people never get the chance to see a world outside of their own neighborhood. Studying abroad is an opportunity that holds a sense of adventure that many people never experience; it is an opportunity that I do not want to regret ever passing me by. As a Loyola University Chicago student, I know that I have other study abroad options such as Aix-en-Provence or Beijing. Nevertheless, I desire to study at the John Felice Rome Center in Rome, Italy because it will give me enough exposure to a culture so interestingly different from my own, but still provide me the comfortable atmosphere of home that I feel at Loyola’s Lakeshore Campus.
    Studying at the John Felice Rome Center would enable me to learn and grow as a person at a level deeper than what I can ever imagine. With Loyola University Chicago’s focus on helping students improve through individual care and attention, as embodied by the latin phrase “cura personalis,” I am certain that Loyola University Chicago’s John Felice Rome Center is the right place for me to grow as a person of virtue and as a compassionate citizen of the world.

2 comments:

  1. I remember previously reading your blog entry about studying abroad and how you've come across so many challenges because of schools' and countries' requirements. What made you choose Australia?

    In my case, I am only planning to go for one semester. My school has their own campus in Italy, so whatever credits I earn at their campus abroad would smoothly transfer.

    I'm sorry to hear about the limitations that schools and national laws have on independent international students, certainly the benefits outweigh the bad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds ideal for you KC, especially for just one semester and also that your university is affiliated with the one in Italy, so your essay is very appropriate. The worst they can say is no, and you will still be going to a great university where you are. Good luck. bfn - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete