Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Searching for Mr. Stranger

I found the guy I met on the train on Facebook. Yes, I know it sounds kind of creepy that I was able to find him just by his first name and where we he mentioned he worked. I want to assure you that I'm not a creeper or a stalker at all, this is the first time I've ever done something close to "Googling" a stranger. If you knew that you could possibly find the guy you believe you made a connection with, wouldn't you? Considering the whole scenario: he started the conversation with a mere stranger (me) in the dead of winter for no apparent cause or benefit to him, he continued a conversation with me even after we got on the train (there were empty seats, yet he chose to stand across the aisle from me near the doors), and a stop before I got to my train stop he suddenly decided to tell me that he was seeing Black Swan at 7:45pm. Who tells a random stranger that they're going to see a specific movie at a specific time, when no preceding statements from either persons related to cinema, entertainment, etc.? Is it reasonable for me to believe that he told me that specific information for some reason other than to tell me he's going to see a movie?

In any case, before I decided to message the guy on Facebook, I asked a few of my friends (heterosexual females, one homosexual male, and my heterosexual male roommates) if I was just imagining the connection I thought I felt and if it would be too creepy to pursue/message him. Also, keep in mind that when I tell stories, I try to be as elaborate as I can in recalling situational details and dialogue in order to keep the story as objective as I can. So after telling each of my friends the whole situation, they all believe that I wasn't imagining the possibility that he was hitting on me and that I should message him. The overall belief amongst my friends was the fact that I have nothing to lose. Sure, perhaps it will result in this stranger thinking that I'm a fucking creep or I may befriend a really great guy. Either way, I at least would have found certainty.

So the following excerpt is the message I sent him via Facebook after getting a few tips on how to write it from my roommate Gabe.

Hey Dan, it's Kenny, I don't know if you remembered, but we met on the train this past weekend. What's up?

I know this might be kind of weird, but I remembered you telling me that you worked at ****** ****** Dance Company, so I thought I might try and hit you up. I enjoyed our conversation on the train and I thought that perhaps you might want to get some coffee the next time you're in the city?

3 comments:

  1. The only thing I thought of while reading this post:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIiW0Trk3T0
    But I guess it doesn't hurt to reach for things you want

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. KFC, thanks for the link. You're right, it does remind me of my situation. A part of me wants to believe that I should have left it to destiny, but another part of me, the skeptical part of me, feels that if something is within grasp, get it for yourself, ya'know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, nothing ventured nothing gained. Funny isn't it how the male is biologically programmed for sexual pursuit but these days it's often called 'stalking' or 'sexual harassment' when it is not. In the old days if man bedded a lot of women he was called a 'stud'; now he's called a 'sexual predator' and off to 'sex rehab' he goes lol (poor Tiger Woods!). Sometimes in the course of sexual pursuit the male will not take no for an answer a few times before quitting, but it seems that nowadays any pursuit after the first 'no' is stalking! The North American male is slowly being emasculated because of the feminist political agenda and political pandering for their votes. Heaven help him if he ever goes to court for a divorce or a sex charge. So you can legitimately follow up on Dan unless he firmly makes it plain he is not interested; it is the male thing to do! And keep looking around. bfn - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete