Saturday, January 22, 2011

What's a Fag to a Fag Hag?

During the welcome week of freshman year, I was a total social butterfly. Once I had all my stuff in my dorm, I kept the door open greeting anyone that would pass by. I made so many friends and I would often hear my name being called left and right. I had people constantly calling my phone asking me to come join them in whatever it was they were doing. I honestly thought that everything would be different compared to high school; it was a new school, a new opportunity to be what I wanted to be without the limits set by reputation and parental control. From the moment I would wake up, I felt like I had something to look forward to, people I couldn't wait to see.

This school year is/was different. The people I called my dearest friends from last year are no longer around. A few of them, I haven't seen or heard from in the past 4-5 months, yet they live less than two blocks away. Is it because I no longer wish to go out to the bars and drink every weekend like they do? Was I truly even a friend to them as they are to one another?

I often blame myself for what has happened. I expected all of us to be a family of some sort, but I guess it wasn't the sort of friendship they were looking for. The close intimate relationship I wanted with them wasn't the sort they wanted from me. Why would they? The whole group consisted of girls, where I was the only guy. They were ignorant to the instances where I was left out because I was the one that was different, not them. No matter how I put it, I am a guy and I was hanging out with a bunch of girls. Yes, I am gay, the diplomatic bridge between men and women, but I still have a penis hanging between both my legs and certainly a full-fledged man. Whether they were conscious of it or not, it was a common trait between them (i.e. their femaleness) that provided a deeper connection for them to share.

Yes, a gay is a girl's best friend, but at what point is a girl a best friend to the gay as much as he is to her? The television show Sex & the City comes to mind. One scene in particular, Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha, Miranda, and Stanford were watching a fashion show when Stanford overheard Carrie talking about going out later that night. Stanford enthusiastically asked Carrie, "Where are we going?" Carrie hesitantly responded, "Oh, I thought it would be just a girl's night out, is that okay?" Often, those were the sort of situations I'd find myself in. I found myself investing so much time and effort in maintaining friendships with these girls that I came to think of them as my central group of friends. But when I realized that the feeling wasn't mutual, I found myself at a loss. Gays were always too nasty and unjustifiably competitive with one another, I was socially conditioned to stay away from heterosexual boys, and the girls I spent so much time with didn't see me as an equal, whether they were cognizant of it or not...

To try an put it in clearer terms... I accepted the fact that I was gay at a very early age, at an age where I was the only gay person I knew; I was 11 years old. At that point, guys made fun of me and they often ostracized me. If one guy showed any sympathy for me or try to befriend me, other guys would ridicule him, so I basically became a social leper to the guys of my school. At that point, girls were the only friends I could turn to. As far as I knew, they were the only ones willing to interact with me. As time went on and the guys continued to share their apprehension towards me, I never really got the chance to develop my social interaction skills with other guys. They feared that I would perhaps turn them gay or try to make a move on them. I knew that this would never happen because I was never attracted to straight guys. Nonetheless, I habitually learned to stay away from them. It was ingrained into me that me being gay scared guys and I didn't want to bother them or get myself rejected and be humiliated, so I stayed away. In the end, girls were the only people I came to depend on.

Unfortunately, as the years went on, I came to realize how gendered society was depending on age groups. Now in my early adulthood, it seems clearer to me that girls have their solid group of female friends as their central group, men have their solid group of male friends as their central group (which I never felt welcome to join), and I'm stuck in the empty space between these two spheres of gendered society.

Is there something wrong with me? Am I that much of a social failure?

6 comments:

  1. What caught my eye was the line 'I was socially conditioned to stay away from heterosexual boys'. Thing is, some of those 'heterosexual' boys were gay or gay-inclined but firmly in the closet, sometimes until they are in their twenties. Of course girls can be good friends, but they are not your world sexually. You need to seek out the homosexual community in your college/city and interact, cos these are the people who understand you. Yes they have their share of assholes the same as hetero people do but I'm sure you will run across some gay guys who will become good friends. I suppose there are even lots of closeted gays in your school too. Colleges often have more gay-friendly str8 guys also. Your young boyhood years were indeed painful and unfair, and sometimes it takes a while to change the brain wiring. And sometimes you just have to say f**k it and not be self conscious. Your college is a much better atmosphere to engage the gay community; are there any LBGT groups there? Girls often provide info on who's gay too. You might also try out a daily exercise routine at school facilities to get in shape and meet people. Nothing wrong with you; stuff happens in life that boxes you in and breaking out of that requires taking some chances. Even getting sex requires some vulnerability; it's the law of the jungle. I've seen guys get rejected many times over and then hit the one that responds (now you know why booze is so popular with young people!). Time to get the gadar out and look for those guys in YOUR world. I hear you. bfn - Wayne (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My jaw dropped when reading this. This is the exact same thing I'm going through, so at least you know its not just you.

    I've been through the whole 'girls night out' thing too. The only thing that really changed that honestly was coming out to them. I was then included in these stupid girls nights. Certainly not as a girl but definitely closer in spectrum to them than the guys.

    I wouldn't focus so much on having a large number of people you know, keep it to a small group of close friends. Those who will include you in everything. Those are the ones who are important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Wayne. Try hanging out with non-straight folks. They're capable of offering friendship too, you know :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wayne and Grey: I've been trying to do so, but it's quite difficult finding gay guys that I can get along with because those at my school are either really pretentious and think that they're better than you or they're currently going through a sexual identity crisis. But I'll keep on trying. :)

    Pierre: Well, that's the thing, Pierre... In a closer spectrum to girls than guys, but still not considered as one of the girls per se, either by you or the others in the group. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I want to meet people I can completely identify with like how girls or hetero guys are with their own. One can say that I should find some gay friends, but as I mentioned to Wayne and Grey, easier said that done.

    But you're right, having that small, central group of friends who will include me in everything is a good criteria I should apply. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. In my case, I have a lot of close straight friends, males and females. As in tight buddies. I hardly have gay friends save for those I met online. That's prolly because I'm not out tho. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can sympathize. The people I have closest to me that I would consider my friends are straight. Just like you, the gay people I would consider to be my friends are those I met online. And I'm out. :p

    ReplyDelete