Saturday, January 15, 2011

In the Eyes of the Beholder

Last night, rather than being a productive individual, I spent my time looking through profiles on a certain social networking/dating site. As I glanced through profiles, one in particular stood out: that of a severe burn victim. As an individual's picture is the first thing one would see, what I initially noticed was the severity of his burns. The first thought that came into mind was, "What happened?" As I further read through his profile, I learned that he is around my age, he's going to school for his bachelors in psychology (like me),  and he had spent over a decade at a burn victim camp.

What I found to be really fascinating was the optimism he had displayed throughout his written profile. He wrote about going to school for psychology, his desire to become a counselor at the camp he attends and help other burn victims, his love for laughter, etc. Even though he had gone through something so tragic, he is still able to face the world with certainty and confidence; he truly exemplifies what it means to be resilient.

It has definitely made me reevaluate my own situation and the way I perceive my life. Yes, I was always cognizant of the fact that there are others who are not as fortunate as me in some way or another. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to close or even bridge the empathy gap between myself and those that are supposedly in worse situations. I have always told myself that I should live for those that were not fortunate enough to have the same liberties and opportunities as me; it's similar to when your parents tell you not to waste food because there are starving children in the world, but the thought is more self-driven. I can appreciate the significance of such a statement. Previously, bringing such concepts to the forefront of my awareness never made much of a difference. I have the great fortune of going to university, I have parents that financially support me, I have a home to return to whether it be on campus or at my parents', yet I must admit that I don't appreciate them as much as I would like to. To know that I am in a better position in society compared to others should motivate me to take full advantage of what I have been fatefully given, yet I find myself slacking.

Previously, my focus was often on what others have better than me and what my misfortunes are. I criticize myself for having mild acne that leaves superficial scars, being a minority in the gay community and not being seen as attractive by the majority subgroup within said community, etc. By identifying with the man mentioned above, I'm able to see the world in a more universal perspective. Also, I've come closer to setting my priorities straight and I'm increasingly gaining the motivation to strive for something. I believe that I am no longer just cognizant of my great fortune and liberty, but I can actually use my knowledge and awareness to actively live. There was no emotional connection with what I knew, hence why I could not appreciate and/or take full advantage of what I have and what I know I can attain.

By disregarding the opportunities and fortune fatefully (or arbitrarily) given to me, I would be disrespecting not only my own self-interest, but also those that are in less fortunate situations than I am. I can pay homage to those that could have best utilized what I have by living my life the best that I can.

2 comments:

  1. I guess you are talking about relativity K.C., and this is the reason for so much unhappiness in life. I am old enough now to have seen guys in my youth who were better looking, or smarter, or wealthier, or luckier etc have the tables turned as the years went by. Some got fat and bald, some had heart attacks and health conditions, some became alcoholics/drug addicts, some got divorced, some stayed married to a shrew, and death claimed some while I am still alive. And some were class acts and did ok. The adversity that a badly burned person must endure for life is heart-breaking and this guy is amazing.
    -I think you have a new point of view toward life and for the better. But be a little selfish and look after yourself with a moderate lifestyle, good diet and exercise. I got nailed with the acne for quite a few years and it took a course of Accutane to finally clear it up. Do check with your doctor for treatments; sometimes antibiotics or topical ointments keep it under control. Your glass is fuller than you think. bfn - Wayne :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look after myself and be a little selfish... Well, I definitely wasn't planning on figuratively sacrificing myself. :P

    I guess what I'm trying to express through this blog post is the fact that there are things we cannot control and we must see the good in it; not everything is conquerable by the human will. When one finds him/herself in such a situation where things are practically set on stone, what one must conquer is his/her own perceptions in order to make something of it.

    I don't think Accutane would be a good idea, considering my previous experiences with minor depression. I've tried antibiotics, didn't work. Right now, the best I can do is keep my face clean and try topical benzoyl peroxide.

    ReplyDelete